Celery is an e-commerce platform focused on pre-orders where you can capture payments and charge customers later, when ready to ship. It was also easy to plug into any website while offering sophisticated order management on top of it.
With the growth of crowdfunding from 2014 to 2016, the platform became very appealing for entrepreneurs wanting to be less dependent on crowdfunding platforms. That helped Celery to acquire a significant cut from the crowdfunding market share. Part of the company was acquired by Indiegogo in 2016.
Setting up an online shopping experience for physical products can become a lot of work, in particular, if you have many different products and combinations. In addition to that, while on the pre-order stage, most entrepreneurs don't have a perfect idea of shipping costs because product and packaging specs are not 100% finalized.
The existing solution for setting up shipping costs allowed customers to set one global shipping cost that would be applied to all products in the store. That solution was working well, but because Celery was growing and attracting more sophisticated customers, we started to identify that the existing solution wasn't working well for these customers.
- Collaborate with sales and support to understand customer needs
- Define and validate a better way of setup shipping costs
I worked with Celery from 2015 to 2016 as the only product designer. This project was done in parallel with a complete platform redesign that I led over 6 months. My responsibilities included but were not limited to: ideation, collaboration, user flows, interaction, and visual design.
For this project, I partnered with sales and customer support to gather insights and then collaborated with the engineers on the feature development.
Understanding the Audience
In collaboration with sales and support, I was able to identify the primary use cases that the existing solution wasn't solving:
- Set up shipping for a variety of products with different specs
- Charge different prices for each location
- Allow promotions without the use of coupons
Existing solution for shipping configuration
By understanding the goals and user needs, I started to explore some possible solutions using Balsamiq. At this time, as mentioned earlier, we were also redesigning our dashboard, so I was also experimenting with different UI to figure out re-usable components for the new dashboard but keeping things in a conceptual level, without too many details.
After looking at some wireframing ideas, it became clear to me that the main limitation was because we only had one global shipping rule.
A potential way of making it better could be to allow customers to set up multiple global shipping configurations and associate these configurations with products, what I called Shipping Rules Concept.
Use Case Matching
During this project, I was still doing remote work because I didn't have a work visa, but I wanted to have something closer to real-time collaboration with the team to present how the solution could work and to make sure we were all on the same page before moving forward with it.
With real customer use cases that we need to solve for and using a spreadsheet, I led a session with the team where we all could observe how different use cases would behave with the proposed solution.
Screenshots of the spreadsheet I used to test different use cases with different solutions
Validating The Concept
I collaborated with the sales team to get some feedback from some of our customers. I put together a simple InVision prototype matching the customer use case to demonstrate how the new solution would fit.
We found that because the shipping page was still very familiar comparing with the existing solution, it was easy for customers to start using it. The main missing element was a way of duplicating rules, so it would be more efficient to create multiple rules.
Hifi mockups that mapped real use case scenarios
After validating the concept with customers, I started to put together the final solution.
We were far ahead with the dashboard redesign project, so the UI work was done using the new design foundations which weren't radically different from the previous version, but it had a more clear and modern visual language.
Main user interface with sample data
I also proposed an interface to communicate the case where customers would apply a shipping rule to a product that already had a shipping rule associated with it.
Overwriting rules dialog
Onboarding and Final Details
Once we finalized the dashboard redesign, we also added a simple onboarding to help new customers understand the general concept of the feature.
The solution helped the sales team to win a new type of customers, resulting in a positive impact on core metrics such as Customer Acquisition, Retention, and GMV.
Celery was becoming sophisticated enough to win customers from more prominent players on the pre-orders/crowdfunding market, like Kickstarter, Indiegogo and Tilt.
In May 2016, Indiegogo acquired part of Celery business, and I had a chance to interview and join the Indiegogo Design team.